Downtown Brockville Blog
January can be a hard time of the year for people to get out of the house, especially in Canada with winter and more specifically our region with the constant fluctuations. Somedays we get teased to think that Spring is right around the corner and reality sets in with a random 20+ cm of snow overnight! This tends to lead to hibernation and that can put you at risk of the winter blues; since we don’t want that to happen to you we compiled a list of seasonal ideas (most available year round) to keep you busy.
Experiences are trending lately and we’re proud of what our downtown core has to offer you – there is literally something for everyone:
Winter is certainly a month that can require more creativity – yet it doesn’t get enough credit because it can certainly be beautiful. The important part is to not let those date nights slip away because you think there is nothing to do during these months.
A few suggestions include:
- Booking an Escape adventure at Skedaddle Escape Rooms: Brockville’s newest escape room that offers year-round activities with different themes coming out regularly
- Do a food crawl! This is a service you can have organized by 1000 Islands Tasting Tours or try your own edition by having each course in a different restaurant – we dare you to make it to dessert!
- We have two billiard halls if you’re up for trying something new or you haven’t played a round of pool in ages: Broad St Billiards and Sam’s Brass Racks are open daily with free live entertainment at Sam’s on the weekend as, both charge a low hourly rate for to play pool
- Keep it budget friendly by lacing up your skates and taking a few laps around the Rotary Park Skating Rink followed by a night cap at Richards Coffeehouse, or one of our local pubs
- If you really insist on staying inside, consider grabbing a beautiful flower arrangement and take-out on your way home from work to enjoy in the cozy comfort of your own home.
Spring can be a bit easier to pull the ideas together and get out of the house, but maybe you haven’t thought of these suggestions:
- It is time again to appreciate the beautiful tunnel we have underneath our downtown core with its re-opening! This is always a cost – effective and great choice, you can also choose to SPRING for an ice cream or a bite at Fat Les’ Waterfront Patio, followed by a stroll around Blockhouse too.
Did you know that this year marks 160 years since the tunnel was built? Stay tuned for special opening details as they come together from the Brockville Railway Tunnel Committee.
- It might not be patio season yet, but the days are getting longer, and the trails will be sprouting their seasonal beauty, so why not grab the bike and enjoy some nightlife while you’re out! The Keystorm is still having trivia every Monday night, not to mention the library, many of the cafes and art stores have ongoing themed workshops. A good place to check is our events calendar (LINK EVENTS PAGE). If you love the idea, but don’t have a bike, or need a tune up get in touch with Scott at Cranks Bicycle Shop.
- We will be hosting our first Street Festival, also known as Street Eats on May 30th and this is a great opportunity to get out and enjoy a day filled with entertainment and food! The event starts at 9:00 AM and runs until 4:00 PM – many downtown businesses will be out on the streets and we will host multiple food trucks during this time. Plan to join the fun!
- Beat the summer rush and enjoy the Aquatarium, loaded with river history you’re guaranteed to learn something new and if you’re adventurous you can try the AquaDrop and Ropes Course. The High Ropes Course is a 9 element obstacle adventure suspended a minimum of 12 feet above our 3rd floor. Strapped into a harness with lanyards and following the safety guidelines, you will learn how to navigate through our course in a safe but exciting way – then do a 40ft quick jump if you dare!
- Dinner and a movie! You can do that in Downtown Brockville? YES! The Brockville Arts Centre, not only plays host to live entertainment and theatrical performances – they also have regular film features playing.
Summer! The time of great activity when all the above suggestions are possible (except of course skating at the Rotary Park), but in case you did them all in their suggested seasons here are a few that you may want to try out over the next few months.
- Patio season is here! Check out some great views and brews this summer at Buds on the Bay, Fat Les’ Waterfront Patio or Moose McGuire’s, each have a unique viewpoint and great bites of food to enjoy
- Ghost walks! The Brockville Museum will now be hosting these entertaining and informative walks throughout the summer months alongside their historical walks, both walks have a historical nature to them and make for a great unique date night idea
- Keep you ears perked for live music! We will be hosting some at our annual FunFest Street Festival on August 15th and other places who are famous for hosting in addition to the obvious, Brockville Arts Centre are Sam’s Brass Racks, Richards, The Bar, The Georgian, The Keystorm Pub, Spitfire Café, Moose McGuire’s, Fat Les’ Waterfront Patio, the Courthouse Lodge and most recently the 1000 Islands Brew Pub
- Top this one – plan an Island Picnic, have it chartered by the Dive Brockville Island taxi and catered by your choice of Cosies Tearoom or Manoll’s Fish and Chips. This just might be one for the books.
- 1000 Islands Seaway Cruise! Recently winning the Tourism Award from the Brockville and District Chamber of Commerce, Captain Andy provides a variety of ways to view the magnificent St Lawrence River, including themed dinner and party cruises, sightseeing cruises at high speed via the wildcat or the two storied licensed patio cruise boat. With so many great options – you might have to do this one a few times!
Autumn, last but certainly not least, the Fall is a great time of year to get in any of the above ideas you may have missed as the year wraps up because, let’s face it we’re not all made for Summer. Afterall Fall is an all-around romantic time of year.
- Fall is a great time of year to browse what the downtown shops have to offer you, whether you’re building your Christmas list or finding gifts for others, we’re sure you’ll find something unique while you’re here. Keep an eye out for how your partner responds to certain stores and items while you’re out. The Jewel Box and Penny’s Jewellery are also great stops if you’re looking to make that next step!
- Soak up that last bit of warmth in the weather forecast by grabbing some to go items from Metro or Brockberry and having a picnic in one of our beautiful parks
- Sensual Adult Gifts may also have an original experience for you to enjoy a relaxing night at home
- A couple’s photoshoot could be a fun idea for you and your partner to enjoy all the fall foliage together and have a lifelong keepsake of your time together.
- Escape Brockville, our first ever Escape Room in the railway car outside of the south side of the tunnel will be getting ready to wrap up the end of the season, so don’t miss out!
We hope you have some new ways of enjoying Downtown Brockville throughout the year because Downtown Brockville is a great way to think outside of the box and get out there and live. We continue to become a more well-known destination spot by the day, so we want you to know that you can even gift a year of Seasonal Date Nights as a package with a few simple clicks and one unique purchase at our office. To do so just follow these simple instructions:
- Print each of the Seasonal Date Night Cards (3.5x6")
- Call or visit us at Downtown Brockville (613-345-3269 or 3 Market St W) to purchase gift cards that will let your recipient pick what they choose to do
- Optional – Print the seasonal ideas